Translate

14 May 2010

Ipswich to honour George Negus

QT.com.au

IPSWICH Mayor Paul Pisasale wants to name a street after television journalist George Negus because of his similarity to Ipswich.

The idea arose after Nova FM presenter Meshel Laurie said she thought Mr Negus should have a Brisbane street named after him.

"On Monday, I found out that George Negus was born and raised in Brisbane," Ms Laurie said. "We've got the Go-Betweens Bridge, the Clem 7 tunnel, why not George Negus Way? They're having a competition to name the second Gateway Bridge and I suggested it to Campbell Newman and he said: 'That's a Federal issue.'"

That prompted Cr Pisasale to make his suggestion.

"We've got a free trade agreement with Brisbane so Campbell and I work together very, very well and when you had the opportunity for George Negus Way, I thought: Look at all the similarities," he told Ms Laurie.

"Everybody thought that George was finished – like Ipswich – and all of a sudden we're like the phoenix bird, we're back, we've got a great show and we're going well, everything's going well and we'd love to honour George. And the other thing, when he lands in Ipswich guess what? We're only 60 minutes away.

"We thought about crescent, we thought about drive or street but you're right; George had his own way of doing things, he's entertained a lot of people. We'll have a special civic reception, we might even give him the keys to the city."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Channel 7 News Flashback to 1995