Bureau of Meteorology
For people in the LOCKYER VALLEY, GYMPIE, CHERBOURG SHIRE and parts of the IPSWICH CITY, SOUTHERN DOWNS, SUNSHINE COAST, SCENIC RIM, SOMERSET, SOUTH BURNETT and TOOWOOMBA Council Areas.
Issued at 3:37 am Saturday, 15 October 2011.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:35 am, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Toowoomba and the area northeast of Kingaroy.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the east.
They are forecast to affect the area north of Toowoomba, the area southwest of Gympie and the ranges between Gympie and Murgon by 4:05 am and Laidley, Gatton and Gympie by 4:35 am.
Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500