The Honourable Robert Schwarten
Friday, February 04, 2011
First BSA flood rebuilding information seminar in Ipswich
Ipswich will be the first region in Queensland to get flood rebuilding seminars run by the Building Services Authority (BSA), Public Works Minister Robert Schwarten said today.
Mr Schwarten said Member for Ipswich Rachel Nolan, Member for Bundamba Jo-Ann Miller and Member for Ipswich West Wayne Wendt had asked that the first seminar be held in the Ipswich region.
The seminar will be on Tuesday, February 8, at Brothers Leagues Club, Ipswich.
It will have a session for contractors from 4pm-5.30pm and for home owners from 6pm-8pm.
In addition to the seminar, BSA technical staff will be available to answer questions at Ipswich Riverlink Shopping Centre from February 10-12 and at Redbank Plaza from February 17-19.
The BSA will also announce details of seminars in Goodna, Karalee and Fernvale in the near future.
"I am pleased that this important series of seminars is beginning in Ipswich, which was hit so badly by the floods," Mr Schwarten said.
"The flood recovery effort is now in full swing and the seminar will provide very valuable information on repairing and rebuilding homes for both homeowners and tradies," he said.
The seminars include information about:
• when repair work should commence
• the BSA's new Natural Disaster Repairs Contract
• drying requirements for specific building elements
• the importance of homeowners signing contracts and paying Home Warranty Insurance
• choosing a contractor and making sure the contractor is licensed
• floor and wall finishes and products
• septic tanks and effluent systems
• electric and gas installations
• building planning and approval and plumbing approvals
• types of construction and available products e.g. kitchens and wet areas.
BSA staff and industry experts will be available to answer questions.
Experts at the seminar include representatives from Timber Queensland, Master Builders Queensland, Housing Industry Association, Association of the Wall and Ceiling Industries, Electrical Safety Office, Master Electricians Australia and Master Plumbers Association.
Contractors and home owners should book to attend the seminar at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning
1300 272 272.